Right upper quadrant pain exacerbated approximately 3 hours after late
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. While pain from gallstones would typically cause pain sooner after eating a meal, and usually would happen after a meal with more fat in it than the meal you describe, pain from gallstones does not always have an association with meals, and for any pain in the right upper quadrant I would want to evaluate you for gallstones or some other problem with the liver or biliary tract. This would include blood tests and especially an ultrasound to look for gallstones (if you haven't already). If you also had nausea or vomiting with the pain this would be consistent with gallstones.
If you do have gallstones, the most common complication would be acute cholecystitis, which would be when a gallstone gets stuck in the neck of the gallbladder, and the gallbladder gets infected. In this case you would have constant pain for more than 4 hours and may also have fever, nausea, or vomiting. If this happens I would go to the emergency room as quickly as possible.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be happy to discuss it with you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining