Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Right hip pain. Worse when walking. Spreads to groin. Why is it severe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
hip pain
I am a 70 year old male,5' 10", 180lb. Right hip pain more than 6months. Pain only when walking especially on hard surfaces like concrete.Gets worse and worse after 50-100 yards until I can barely lift the leg. Improves when I sit down. what specialist should I see and what tests are needed to make a diagnosis? The pain goes into the groin and is quite severe.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you are having problem in your hip joint during weight bearing. This could happen due to capsular inflammation, hip ligaments injury, hip joint infections or due to arthritic changes.
For proper diagnosis, investigations like X-rays and MRI of the affected hip are entailed.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order the relevant investigations to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hip joint- avoid weight bearing on the affected leg.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your hip will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor