Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Rheumatic arthritis patient,asthma,severe osteoporosis,loss of appetite

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
My mother is 65 yrs of age. She is rheumatic arthritic patient from last 15 yrs and asthamatic from last 20 years She got her knee replaced one by one from Dr. XXXXXXX Delhi in 1999-2000. She was fine and got hip replaced in 2004-2005. Due to severe osteoprosis her right leg got fractured. After that she got surgery done by local surgeon in Jalandhar and it didn't worked. After that her right knee was again replaced and got septic after a year due to an asthametic attack now it is acute and is oozing from the lower right knee. the patient is very irritable and has lost 15kgs after that because she has no diet due to the antibiotics. Suggest what should be done to recover the patient?
Wed, 16 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 15 hours later

Thanks for your query.

On reading your query about your mother, I would want to share a few factors which mandate an immediate examination for her condition

1. Her age being 65 years: old age itself is a risk factor for many health conditions , bones being one in the list. Since she already has a significant past history of surgery and osteoporosis complete recovery will not be expected.
2. Asthma: since she also has asthma, this will add on to her problems, which will increase generalized weakness and problems with appetite, increased chances of chest infections, irritability, etc
3. Low immunity: due to old age, the time taken for recovery is also prolonged and there are many chances to pick up infections as well.

Since there is oozing from the right knee, this may suggest an underlying infection in the knee and if ignored she may go into a septic condition involving the whole body.

Do not wait any longer, please see a doctor soon for an examination and start the antibiotics as early as possible if it is an infection.Keep her well hydrated by giving her good amount of fluids, water, and frequent small meals.

I hope I answered your questions

I am available to answer any further queries
Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor