Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Retarded and diagnosed with fatty liver. Suggest?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
My daughter is 38 and retarded, she has been diagnosed with a fatty liver-how can I help her
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cause to be treated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
The treatment of fatty liver depends on the cause leading to it.
If fatty liver was a incidental finding without any symptoms, no need to worry.
It is a reversible condition.
Once check for her liver function tests.
If everything is normal, you can follow measures like :
-Decreasing fat content in meals.
-Reducing the weight gradually.
If she is able to walk, let her walk for 30 to 45 minutes in a day, that will help in decreasing the weight gradually.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Retarded and diagnosed with fatty liver. Suggest? 13 hours later
vitamin B-12? vitamin E? Omega 3? will any supliment help?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12

Detailed Answer:
Yes, omega-3 fatty acids can be used, as they help in lowering the liver fat.
But Vitamin E should be used only in selective patients only. As its long term effectiveness and safety are not well studied.
Vitamin B12 supplementation can be taken.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor