Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Request for second opinion for breast cancer treatment.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Radiation
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 8 Questions
2nd opinion requested for right breast cancer treatment for my mother
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. J. Krueger 1 hour later

Thank you for the query. I have seen your reports also.

It is good that the breast cancer is detected early. The use of Femara for 5 years and radiation for 5-6 weeks is appropriately recommended. Letrozole is approved treatment for the adjuvant (following surgery) treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early stage breast cancer. Adjuvant therapy is reportedly introduced to reduce the mortality rates by stopping the micrometastasis of the undetected cancer cells.

You can discuss with the Medical Oncologist if there is a need for Her2neu by FISH method. This method helps to determine if Her2neu is definitively Positive or Negative. If it is positive, the Medical Oncologist will add Herceptin (Trastuzumab) to the current regimen.

From the information you provided, the prognosis for a longer life is good.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Krueger, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor