Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Reports shows Hepatomegaly with grade 2 fatty liver. Can I still take alcohol?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
HI i m 34 m in my u. s. report i have HEPATOMEGALY WITH GRADE 2 FATTY LIVER . I m occasionly take alchol XXXXXXX 90ml XXXXXXX 4 times in a month what i have to do to fit my self i m not doing any exercise my weight is 78 h 5.3 can i still take alchol twice in a month
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No you should not drink alcohol more

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Your fatty liver is due to two causes Alcohol and obesity. Fatty liver is initial stage of alcohol related disease and it may progress to cirrhosis. Also no limit is defined for amount of alcohol that is safe. So continuing alcohol at this stage in any amount is not advisable. Also you must do regular exercise brisk walk at least 30 minutes per day. Get lipid profile and SGOT and SGPT if not already done, if abnormal they will require treatment. Also take low fat and high protein diet (Veg- Pulses, soyabean and cheese), if non veg also take white part of egg

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reports shows Hepatomegaly with grade 2 fatty liver. Can I still take alcohol? 3 hours later
After medicine and all this thing when I have go for ultrasound again and which food and friut is better 4 m3
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat ultrasound after 3 months

Detailed Answer:
I usually advise ultrasound after 3 months in my patients. All fruits and vegetables are good, avoid only fatty diet and take high protein as I advised earlier.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor