Replaced merina coil and started bleeding heavily. Will it be reduce after taking tranexamic acid?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I had merina coil fitted five years ago - no problems and it was great. I had it replaced 10 days ago and have been bleeding heavily since with some largish clots. Why am I bleedingnow when I had no problems after the first coil was fitted. Also how long will this last. My GP has prescribed tranexamic acid to help reduce the bleeding - will this work? If so how long will I bleed. When I had the coil before I never bled at all throughout the five years (apart from a bit near the end when it was due for replacement)
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
The bleeding is due to the sudden change in hormone imbalance.After the coil was removed,the level pf progesterone dropped suddenly and you started to bleed.Now after the new device was fitted, the hormone will be dispensed in small amounts on a daily basis. The bleeding will be controlled eventually.Your body has to adjust to the device all over again.You keep taking the tranexemic acid to reduce the bleeding.One tab three times a day.Eventually the hormone will stop your bleeding and you may experience amenorrhea.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
How long does it take before they start working. Also the problem I am having is that it is large clots I am passing - does the tranexemic acid not cause clots.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later
It may take a at least 2-4 months for the device to be adjusted to the body.But the bleeding will be controlled before that.You might get some irregular spotting during this time. Tranexemic acid will stop the bleeding.Its just that you havent had bleeding in a long time so now you are bleeding excessively in the form of clots.