Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Reoccuring bumps on the pennis. Suggest treatment?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
Reoccuring bumps on the pennis,how to treat it permanently
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 minutes later
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
Since age is 70 years so very difficult to say without physical examination .
In my opinion consult a surgeon or Dermatologist and get their opinion regarding this .
Good luck. Dr. HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reoccuring bumps on the pennis. Suggest treatment? 3 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recurring bumps are a normal thing in most men.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your problem you have recurring bumps on penis at the age of 70 years.

Your query is too brief and you have not mentioned certain important points regarding your problem such as:

- Since how long the problem is present.

- Are these bumps present over head of penis or along the entire length or all along.

- How often you get these bumps and how long these remains and then gets normal skin.

- Any history of discharge( any type of pus or related thing) from the same.

- any associated symptom of pain, burning or irritation over the same.

- Any use of soaps, shower gels or any chemicals over the area.

- Your sexually active status and accordingly the use of condoms or any lubricants.

- Are you circumcised or uncircumcised.

Now as I can get from your brief query your age is 70 years. In majority of the cases the most common cause of this kind of redness is just a normal phenomenon.

To explain you medically you should know the very first fact that our penile skin is the thinnest skin on the body. It is such a thin skin that even the blood vessels are directly visible over it. This redness of the blood vessels is many times confused with some kind of skin problems such as red rash or related thing. In your case also this redness can be due to this simple normal phenomenon of the human penile skin.

It is more evident when there is erection or at the time of stretching of the skin so that the normal oil glands, other glands and blood vessels appears prominently as bumps. It is quite common in all men but more pronounced in persons above 40 years of age due to mild to moderate thinning of the skin due to aging factor.

Now if there is mild irritation along with bumps then it can be just a hygiene related feature especially in uncircumcised males.To explain you medically and scientifically again- specifically in an uncircumcised male there can be deposition of smegma over the glans penis. Smegma is the normal secretion over glans penis in uncircumcised males.
Along with this there can be retention of urine between two tightly apposed surfaces of glans penis and skin of prepuce. When this area is infrequently and inadequately separated and/or inappropriately bathed, it leads to frictional trauma over the surface of glans penis. Adding to it, the thinnest skin of the body over glans is also sensitive to the friction plus the chemicals in day to day life. All these factors also lead to recurring bumps which remains till the aggravating factors are present.

Sometimes recurring bumps are quite common in this area because of the friction during sexual intercourse. Even the condoms are known to produce mild irritation and because of the rubber content as well as certain chemicals on the condoms as lubricants and as fragrance there can be small recurring bumps.

Do let me know if your condition matches with any of the conditions above or else for the best possibility of the problem it would be better if you can upload a close picture of the area with good resolution. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your further queries. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). I hope this feature will help us better in resolving your problem.

Even then, if there is no pain, irritation or any pus discharge or any other associated feature in these recurring bumps then the most common possibility in more than 90% of cases is the normal phenomenon of the body.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor