Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Removed uterine polyps, still abnormal PAP, shadow in ultrasound. Could it be CA?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
Good morning, I have had D&C to remove benign uterine polyps then 1 grew again which was so large gyn dr removed in office and was size of pinky which had precancerous cells says maybe HPV did colpopscy (excuse spelling) and took piece of uterus also said no worries but will watch for every six months has been 1 year now still abnormal paps and did transvaginal & ultrasound now there is a shadow? on my cervix? Could it be CA? I have to go back for colpsopcy again! My dr did not get a chance to explain he had emergency & midwife just told me come back tuesday and asked if I wanted kids? I am 46 no kids
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

as you once had precancerous cells in the polyp previously, your doctor might have recommended you colposcopy, as at the first examination it was negative they told you regualr followups,
but as now you repeatedly getting abnormal pap smears with some abnormal finding in ultrasound, better to get treated,

usually early stage of carcinoma will be at cellular level only which may not be detected in ultrasound, in case of presence of growth biopsy is recommended rather than pap smear, so the shadow you mentioned may be some other thing, if you send the ultrasound report we can discuss better about it,

as they recommended you colposcopy if that detects any abnormal findings better to go for biopsy and depending on that result and clinical examination your doctor can come to one conclusion and can plan the treatment accordingly,
in case of early stage of neoplasia the recommended treatment is hysterectomy may be because of that midwife just enquired about the kids,
but don't worry only after investigations we can come to one conclusion, in case of minimal abnormality other options like excision biopsy, conisation etc are there,
so after consulting your doctor you can decide with his advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor