Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Removal of mole from the back, cauterizing, got electric shock, tiny burn occured. Internal damage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1337 Questions
i had a mole removed from my back and was laying on my front and when the dr was cauterizing it afterwards i felt something 'pierce my stomach' like a needle, as if it had up through the couch and into my stomach. i got up and it turns out it was an electric shock which left a tiny burn. Coudl this cause XXXXXXX damage?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

Cauterization is a medical procedure where in heat or chemicals are used to destroy and burn the tissue. The two most common risks associated with this procedure are infection and scar tissue formation. The scar will take some time to fade away.

There won't be any harmful damage to your XXXXXXX tissues or organs as the procedure involves only the epidermal and sometimes dermal layer. Muscles and XXXXXXX organs are unaffected. So do not worry.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Removal of mole from the back, cauterizing, got electric shock, tiny burn occured. Internal damage? 12 minutes later
the question wasnt about the scar from the cut on my back it was about an electrick shock i received on my abdomen which came though a metal plate on the couch. thats the only thing im worried about.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 36 minutes later


Thank you for writing back to me.

Electrocautery unlike electrosurgery is a procedure where electricity is used to heat up the cautering unit. The cautery transmits the same to the tissues at a frequency of more than 100Hz which ensures that the effects are restricted to the superficial layers only. Deeper structures are left unharmed.

What you might have felt could have been the effects of electricity / heated cautery at the same area.

However sometimes may be due to faulty techniques if electric current would have passed deeper, do not worry. XXXXXXX injuries are found in high voltage alternate current electrocution and not during electrocautery.

Hope I have clarified your doubts now. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor