Reddish patch near the eye after vaccination for an infant. No fever. Is it normal?

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 6 months girl got her (2) vaccines yesterday and today afternoon, she woke up form her nap with a 3-inch red XXXXXXX by the side of her right eye. No fever, or any other symptom.
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 59 minutes later
Dear,

I presume that she received the regular childhood shots that a six month old gets in your country. Perhaps she received the penta-vaccine and hepatitis B or even the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.

None of these vaccines are known to produce the effect that you have mentioned in your question.

I have seen the picture. It is a simple reddish patch, not raised above the skin and not associated with inflammation or any other adverse phenomenon.

May I humbly suggest that you keep a watch on the rash for a few days? You could try application of a non-allergic baby cream or just Vaseline to see if it disappears. If it doesn't resolve in a few days, please visit her doctor to personally show it to him/her and take further guidance.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any additional queries.

-Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad