Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish painful penis with dryness. What is it?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
My tip of penis gets red and it hurts badly.its also have sings of cut and dryness on tip of penis with lots of irritation and pain. plzzzzzzzzz suggest what to do.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the history it seems that you might be having balanitis, an inflammatory state of the glans penis.

Since the penis is a highly vascular organ, any slight superficial injury will appear like a red or bluish "Angry" looking lesion. But this is a benign condition and heal on its own and subsides on its own. Superadded infections and a delayed healing are possible since you are a diabetic.

Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflamed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.

In addition taking medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day will help in early resolution of the symptoms.

In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the discolored areas of the penis and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for a examination and STD testing might be helpful.
Meanwhile follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Maintain proper hygiene
2.) Avoid sexual contact with a stranger
3.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
5.) During bathing, retract the foreskin to adequately clean and dry the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reddish painful penis with dryness. What is it? 16 hours later
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If it is persistent for last more than 9 months then it needs oral anti fungal agents for proper cure. You need to consult your dermatologist who will confirm the diagnosis after examination of scrapings from the area and will prescribe you the drugs accordingly.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor