Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Red, swollen, painful itchy spot on side of knee. Applied Benadryl itch gel. No relief. What is this spot?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
My 7 year old daughter, woke up this morning with an itchy spot on the side of her knee and we put benadryl itch gel on it, now it is 10 p.m. and she is crying that it hurts and is itching and I when I look at it, you can't see a bite XXXXXXX but the area is large, red, swollen, hurts to the touch and itchy. It is about 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. What is it?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

From your description it seems to be either a unnoticed bite or a streptococcal or staphylococcal infection. The size seems to be big. You can apply local pain killer like a preparation of DISPRIN tablet in 1 tsp of water to dissolve it and apply over the local area. An over the counter baby Motrin / ADVIL 100mg can relieve her pain tonight.

If the problem is not resolved by tomorrow I would suggest you take her to the local doctor. She requires antibiotics and antiinflammatory medications in view of the redness and inability to move the limb. There is also a likelihood of spread of infection which is very common in children.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red, swollen, painful itchy spot on side of knee. Applied Benadryl itch gel. No relief. What is this spot? 7 hours later
Today it is less read and she is moving around great. However, she says it still itchs and it is still as big as it was, but does not appear to be bigger. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good to hear that the condition is not worsening. It could be allergic or infective in origin. In order to prevent any septic complications, I would suggest that you seek a opinion of a orthopaedic surgeon in order to rule out joint involvement which is quite common in children especially if they suffer from septic conditions.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I shall be available for follow ups. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor