Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Red, swollen and scaly upper eyelids

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1175 Questions
my upper eyelids are red, swollen and scaly
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 11 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I would like some more information to be able to help you better.

1. How long has it been like this?
2. Is there pain at a certain point on the lid?
3. Do you have any watering or discharge?
4. Do you have any irritation?

If you also have pain then warm compresses on the affected part will help. You may also need oral antibiotics along with antibiotic ointments. Otherwise only application of antibiotic ointment will be helpful.

Please do get back to me with the above details if necessary.

Awaiting your response

Wish you good and speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red, swollen and scaly upper eyelids 10 hours later
I have had this problem for about a week, with watery discharge. I have some irritation on the right eyelid. No pain. How do I get an antibiotic ointment?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Thanks for getting back.
In the absence of pain this is what we call as ocular surface disorder. So plain antibiotic drops and antibiotic ointment is all we need .Drops to be put in 3-4 times a day and ointment to applied at night in the eye and round the eye.
Ciprofloxacin ,gentajmycine or tetracycline are the usual antibiotics we use.
You have to find out locally if these dugs are available.
Any difficulty please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor