Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Red spots protruding from skin, non-itchy, located on arms

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2709 Questions
hi doc
since a few days i have developed a few red spots which are slightly protruding out of the skin.
they are non itchy and i have around 6-7 of these spots at different locations in my arms.
pictures attached are 1-of the spots and 2-3 of the spot which has grown and now is a shiny patch.
please advise
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later

Thanks for your question.

I was able to view the pictures sent. I would like to know if you suffered fever / body ache / headache two or three days back.

As the papules are surrounded with erythema in the presence of fever and other symptoms, they could be related to chicken pox. Else, other possibilities are hair folliculitis or insect bite allergy need to be considered.

I suggest a detailed examination by a nearby dermatologist. He/she can carefully examine other areas of skin and mucous membrane to differentiate the aforementioned conditions. Treatment can be started appropriately.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red spots protruding from skin, non-itchy, located on arms 3 hours later
I did not have any feeling of Headache or fever over the past few days.
Also Does chicken pox happen several times as I already had chicken pox during my childhood days,
Can I consider it as a allergy or something other of non serious nature as it is not itchy.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Pleased to answer your query.

In an immune competent person, Chicken pox will not recur within 25-30 years of its childhood manifestation.

Usually allergic lesions will be itchy.

Other non-itchy skin lesions a condition called Pityriasis rosea, Secondary Syphilis.

If you could XXXXXXX your dermatologist, he will be able to guide you in a proper direction such as investigations and treatment. Do discuss about these.

Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor