Red spots on lower spine and bad diarrhea. Looking for treatment

Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: My son has 3 red spots on his lower spine. He also has had bad diarrhea.
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 25 minutes later
Hi

I would appreciate if you can answer the following questions. They can help me frame a better answer to your query.
- For how long have the spots been there?
- How big are the spots?
- Is there any pus discharge from them?
- Please confirm if the spot is on his lower spine and not around the anus.
- Are the spots itchy?
- Is he off diarrhea now? What was done for diarrhea?

It would be better if you may get back to us with these details. It would also be better if you could post a close up picture of the spots here. You can use the websites uploader to post them.

From the details you have provided, I guess it might be a simple skin infection. I would suggest getting a complete treatment from a nearby pediatrician if he continues to pass loose stools and has high fever. He will need fluid correction with or without antibiotic.

Awaiting your reply...

Best wishes
Dr.Sudha Shree.V

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 46 minutes later

Not sure. His mom saw them when he was getting ready for a bath
- How big are the spots?
There are three smaller than a dime
- Is there any pus discharge from them?
No
Lower spine right above underwear line. Directly on the spine.
- Are the spots itchy?
No
Yes. He rested and did not go to school. Drank fluids.

I am mostly worried that they are all perfectly along the line of the spine.

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 10 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for getting back with details.

Pleased to know that he is off diarrhea now.

Presuming the spots are recent in onset and the fact that it is asymptomatic / smaller than a dime, this might be due to a simple skin infection. It should settle down with time. We could wait and observe for a few days. A visit to his pedicatrician's office is advisable if the spots persist or they transform to larger size spots, develop pain/itching/pus pointing or new spots develop.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, please do ask and I will be happy to help you.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 13 hours later
Thanks. I have uploaded a picture for you to take a look at. I will take him to the doctor next week if it does not clear up. I thought you could take a look at the photo and let me know if I need to take him right away. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 9 hours later
Hi

Thanks for uploading the picture.

It looks like a simple skin infection. You might wait for it to clear up.

However, as said before if it increases in size/ develops pain/ pus discharge/ spreads to other areas you might have to visit your Pediatrician immediately.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wish your son good health.

Regards.
Dr.Sudha Shree.V

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E