Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Red spots appears on face after having intercourse. Is this a hormonal problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I have one strange issue with myself and my friend who is a doctor told me that it can be hormonal disbalance.

So problem is that when I have active sexual life and after I have proper sex and I cum soon on my face appears some red spots. And could you recommend what to do or may be which blood tests to do to check that it's really hormonal because I saw dermatologist and he told me that it's nothing common with dermatology.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
From what you have described, it seems either you might be developing petechial rash or flushing reaction.
Petechial rash presents itself as tiny pin point red or bluish red spots and develop due to rupture of capillaries and extravasation of blood due to pressure exertion. These may develop during orgasm and persist for few days to a week.
Flushing too presents as reddish areas over trunk chest face etc and persist for few minutes after orgasm to two to three hours.
I do not think your problem has anything to do with hormones.
If its a petechial rash, one can get platelet counts, clotting time, bleeding time , prothrombin time done to rule out any clotting abnormality. Similarly such rashes can occur due to infections, medicine use like blood thinners etc. So underlying cause if any should be ruled out. Petechial rash due to pressure exertion( sneezing, coughing, vomit, defecation or orgasm) is practically harmless and just denotes fragility of capillaries.

Flushing is just due to increased blood flow in the area if occurrence and is a normal physiological response.

I would be in better position to assist if you could elaborate about your rash like if they persist for few hours or days or if they are associated with any symptom like itching burning etc.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red spots appears on face after having intercourse. Is this a hormonal problem? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your so nice and useful response you seem to be very kind and good person and I appreciate it.

To answer your question properly and get to the final solution what it is.

So my rashes persist for some days and not for an hours and as I told you it's always appears when I have actual sexual life, like every second day, or in one day 3 orgasms but otherwise if i have for example 2 times a week sexual act then it's ok.

Also I don't have any additional symptoms like itching, burning, ect. just one more thing is that rashes are sometimes hard and big and there inside is something like an purulent rash and after some days it's get matured and with touch of fingers it goes out but then some days it still leaves marks.

I hope I explained as detail as I could but if you will have some more question please ask me i will answer with pleasure as my aim is to finally understand what is it and how we can solve this problem or what to do?

Thanks a lot again doctor for your help.

And looking forward hearing from you.

Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
The elaborate description of the lesion seems to prove one thing- it neither appears to be flushing or petechiae!.
It sounds like a boil( furuncle) or acne lesion.
A furuncle is a bacterial infection of hair follicle characterised by a red tender elevated bump which may develop a pus point in centre
Acne has a hormonal etiology and is characterised by red elevated bumps or pustular lesions.
Both of these might heal with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Dermatology is completely a visual field and hence a clinical examination of the concerned area is required to reach a particular diagnosis i would request you to either XXXXXXX a dermatologist or Upload an image of the lesion on this site so that I can help you out in suggesting a probable diagnosis.
Whenever you develop such lesions, I would advise you to do warm water compresses of the lesion and apply an antibiotic cream like nadifloxacin . If required a course of oral antibiotic like doxycycline can be taken for a week or two to reduce these spots
Also wash your hands frequently with an antibacterial soap specially after an intercourse.

The dark marks that they leave can be tackled by application of pigmentation reducer creams containing hydroquinone or Kojic acid or tretinoin.

Hope that helps.
Should there be any other doubt, I would be thereto assist you.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red spots appears on face after having intercourse. Is this a hormonal problem? 13 hours later
Dear Doctor,

thanks for your useful answer.

First of all I am gonna tell you that I already visited dermatologist 3 times and I was taking 25 days Doxycycline and also was same time using local anti-biotic cream which contains and main ingredient is: Clindamycin 1% and also I was using before cream application Zineryt solution (erythromycin, zinc acetate) once a day.

Then it was much better and we stopped taking all this and i did 3 times chemical peeling to remove all this marks form my face but actually it didn't take totally and as I told you they become more after active sexual life.

All after that just 2 weeks ago I was visiting Moscow, Russia and I asked my friend to take me to someone also and they prescribed me just one cream which is called: Effezel. I am not sure if you know it and here is a link of description of this product WWW.WWWW.WW
And also I am washing face with anti-bacterial solution with Chlorxidine and also going to steam room twice a week to clean my face and scrubbing but they are still. :(

Also what do you think about Solarium? Can it be helpful or harmful in my skin condition?

P.S. I am attaching 2 photos of my actual face condition which I took just now.

Thanks a lot doctor for your help and looking forward that we will find solution together.

Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I have seen the images attached and you have nothing but acne! Acne is due to hormonal cause and androgens( testosterone) are implicated for the same. It is quite common in males. It has nothing to do with increased sexual activity and might just be a co incidental finding.
Acne can recur after stopping treatment.
Your acne is of mild grade and application of creams are sufficient enough to help.
I can also notice slight redness over face. If local application of anti acne creams have made your skin red,dry or irritated, I would advise you to stop their application for a while and apply a mild moisturiser like cetaphil moisturising lotion to soothe skin. Once skin is normal you may begin with these
1) use a salicylic acid based face wash( neutrogena or saslic from cipla) twice in a day
2) apply clindamycin gel twice in a day and adapalene gel once in night only over acne lesions. You may use a tooth pick for the purpose. Never apply too much cream or rub the cream as it can lead to irritation dryness etc. if you get pustular lesions, nadifloxacin cream has good results
3) avoid sun exposure and use a sunscreen when out in sun. I would not advise solarium or sun beds right now. Once your acne is under control and pigmentation marks are gone, you may consider going for same.
4) do not use chlorhexidine to wash face. Steaming once in a week is enough. Do not scrub your face often
5) if you have blackheads get them extracted regularly as these are precursor lesions for acne.
6) use a Kojic acid based cream or hydroquinone cream to treat post acne dark or red marks.
7) chemical peels with salicylic acid can be taken to reduce acne as well as marks. However with peels strict sun protection is required
8) do not apply any oily cream over face and do not go with regular face massages as these can induce acne
9) I do not think you require a course of oral antibiotics, however if not much response is seen with creams alone oral doxycycline or azithromycin can be taken.

Hopefully your acne lesions would subside in two weeks time but pigmentation marks would take time to go.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other doubt feel free to write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red spots appears on face after having intercourse. Is this a hormonal problem? 7 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks once again for your so nice and professional answer. I got everything and I am gonna do every step how you told me as I think I am very good patient and I always follow doctor's advice when I trust that doctor and I trust you a lot.

But I still have 3 small questions doctor and I need your recommendations:


So as I think my skin is dry and irritated I have two products and do you recomend to use them?

`if you agree to use these creams before I start Acne procedures please recomend me which one to use or both of them and how?


Also I am attaching one new pic (IMG_1346) which I have recently on my neck and I think it's because I used in that spot a lot of adapalene gel and it's kind of horrible XXXXXXX kind of someone kissed me in bad way. :)) So what you recommend for such kind of redness or I don't know may be it's a mark?


Sometimes I use some Cosmetics (like a make-up) like MAC Brand products when I go out on weekends to hide my marks and I hope it not gonna make worse my acne what you can say about it?

So, once again thanks for everything doctor and I am looking forward that this acne problem will go away and by the way I should tell you that it started in September 2012 and after that I am suffering from it.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
1)From the images uploaded, I feel that you skin looks slightly red and irritated. You can use la roche posay product. There is no need to use two product together. Once the irritation is gone, start the medicines.
2) adapalene has caused irritation of your skin, to treat the same just moisturise the area. However if the redness persists use a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone cream to reduce redness
3) you can use mac products to hide acne but make it a point those products are not cream based or comedogenic.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt feel free to write back. I will be available for follow up
Take care

PS should there be no other query, we may close the discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor