Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Red sores in mouth after brushing. Is there a way to cure this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 176 Questions
Every time I brush my teeth I get little (red ulcer like) sores all over my mouth & tongue. I tried sensitive tooth paste and there is no difference. Is there a way to cure this problem? It is painful and I can hardly stand to brush as long as I should. After I rinse the sores are gone within 5 minutes.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for posting at XXXXXXX

Sores (temporary) in mouth may occur due to the following reasons:
-Allergy to some ingredient in your tooth paste
-Sensitive mucosa to harsh chemicals in paste like menthol
-Sensitive mucosa getting abraded by a Hard tooth brush
-Candidiasis of the oral cavity/Oral thrush

Your treatment will depend on the duration of this problem ie: since when are you having it and is there any redness or white patches on your tongue or anywhere in the oral cavity. Do you feel any burning sensation/pain on eating spicy food.

After reading your symptoms, i feel that you could be suffering from either Oral thrush(which gets exacerbated during brushing due to irritation by the paste/brush)or contact dermatitis which is a form of contact allergy. Though you did change your tooth paste, maybe the allergen was common in both the pastes. This needs to be verified by an allergy test.

I would recommend you to visit a dentist for examination for the same. Meanwhile you may use an antifungal mild mouthwash twice daily along with a soft bristled tooth brush.

If you have any more queries, i will be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor