Red rashes under arms, thighs, groin area and feet. Contagious or flu related?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I woke this morning with a continuous red rash under the arms, on my upper thighs and groin area, and tops of feet. Could it be contagious or related to flu? I do not have a fever and except for the itching, feel fine. Rash is bilateral.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Thanks for sending your query.
The sudden onset of itchy rash over your body could be acute urticaria, drug rash or any allergic reaction. Sometimes ingestion of a particular food item, drug, infection (dental caries, abdominal pain or flu is rare.
I would be in a better position to answer your query if you could send me few photographs of the concerned area and a more detailed history like ingestion of any drug, particular food or exposure to any allergen like pollen, plants, fumes, metal, etc.
In the meanwhile, take oral antihistamine like fexofenadine or cetrizine and apply calamine lotion to soothe the area.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad