Red, raised, itchy rashes all over body. Using desonide for eczema. Proper diagnosis?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: My daughter is 9. She has insect bites throughout the year. 4 weeks ago, she had some bites that looked like mosquito bites, and she scratched as usual. Then 2 weeks later, they turned to be really bad rash, scabbing repeatedly, redness, raised skin, bumps different shapes at different locations, very itchy, and spread to all over. The doctor says Eczema. Using Desonide ointment for a week, it gets much better.

My question is what was different for that round of insect bites than any other time? Did the scratching cause the flare-up? What is Eczema?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing.
The condition your daughter is suffering from can be papular urticaria .It is a unusual susceptibility to insect bite.It is seen in children with atopic dermatitis.It will get better as the age advances .To prevent it full sleeved clothing should be used daily.If possible socks and handgloves should be used whenever possible.Mosquito net and mosquito repellent should be used strictly at night.Avoid scratching .Keep her nails shortest from time to time.

The insect bite if scratched can lead to eczema.It is characterized by severe itching and excoriation and scaling.It is complication of papular urticaria.
Mild steroid like fluticasone or desonide can clear the lesion.Use aloe vera lotion routinely to prevent eczema from occuring.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan.
Dermatology.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 30 minutes later
Thanks, Dr. XXXXXXX

My daughter has insect bites constantly, but she only developed Eczema this time. What triggered this flare-up? Could it be something in her finger nails? With adequate knowledge, we can do better prevention for future.

Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Its the excessive scratching and infection may have flared the eczema.keep the nails short.Apply aloe vera based moisturizer like NMF e lotion on regular basis.moisturization of skin on routine basis will prevent flare up of eczema.
Hope this helps.
Regards.