Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Red, pus-filled bump in pubic area, diagnosed with HPV. Want to ensure that the bump is folliculitis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
I have a small, red, puss-filled bump in my pubic hair. It is the only bump I see. I was diagnosed with HPV over 6 mos ago but was told that no treatment was needed we would just see if it went away on its own. I have a gyno appt in the next 3 weeks for my follow-up annual exam. Just wanting to ensure this bump is folliculitis (sp?) or the result of an ingrown hair and not something more serious. I can send a photo if that would help.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A single small pus filled bump in the pubic hairs is likely to be due to folliculitis or a blocked sebaceous gland or bartholin's gland. Since it is a red and painful swelling, it is not likely to be due to warts.
Such minor infections do subside in 3-4 days normally without much treatment. You can do a hot fomentation in the area to decrease pain and apply a local antiseptic ointment like neosporin for early relief.
In case the swelling increases in size then systemic antibiotics may be needed.
A direct examination will help in confirmation of diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red, pus-filled bump in pubic area, diagnosed with HPV. Want to ensure that the bump is folliculitis 6 minutes later
Great thank you so much. I assume like you say then that it is folliculitis or the blocked gland. I will have it confirmed with my personal OBGYN at my visit in the coming weeks - if you agree I should wait that long and make sure the bump subsides.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can wait for a week and meanwhile self monitor the swelling for any further increase in size or discharge in which case systemic antibiotics might be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor