Red patch appeared on penis and getting burning sensation while masturbation. Any relief?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: Hello, I have this red patch on my penis glans which seems to come and go in intensity. It appears as a very dark red patch which looks like scales as if i can peel them off. However the skin itself is still smooth and not raised. It doesn't itch but causes a slight burning sensation when masterbating. What could it be?

I also suffer from what the doctors say is eczemic patches on my groin, but confirming a diagnosis with a specialist in a month or so. It's driving me mad, as it's very unsightly. As i said, there's no itch, no discharge, and Its only really noticeable after masterbating where ih ave a slight burning sensation in the area.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the image uploaded.
The condition can be contact dermatitis,balanitis,irritant reaction etc.
Also I would like to know-

Since when you have this?
Does it go on its own?In what duration?
Does it ever itch?
Do you use any lubricant while masterbating?
Any recent sexual exposure?protected/unprotected?
Any history bleeding form the lesion?

Answer the questions to help you better.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatologist.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 9 minutes later
I'm not too sure how long I've had it for, as when erect my foreskin won't go passed the tip, so I don't want to pull it down far enough in case it splits.

I noticed it whilst inspecting the penis after urinating. Ive been careful to avoid getting urination on the area and dab it dry after i finish.

it varies in intensity, today it's as bad as that but it can then get a lot better but 'flare up'. The picture I have showed you is probably the worst it can get.

It does not itch at all. It doesn't give any symptoms whatsoever other than the slight discomfort whilst masterbating.

I don't use any lubricant usually, as when I'm erect, again its hard to pull back the foreskin to apply lubricant all over. Today I used petroleum jelly but that was only half way through..

I have had the same partner for 2 years now who was tested when we got together. I have not engaged in any intercourse, masterbation is really the only activity we do as well as the occasional oral.

It has never bled at all. It's not raised either, when I rub my finger across it's smooth texture.

One thing I will note however is that sometimes after masterbating, I get a patch on my inner foreskin (always the same spot) that feels raw. It usually heals within a couple of days though.

Hope this is enough information

thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details.
After going through the details I feel it is just balanitis.Balanitis is a nonspecific inflammation of penis.It is not related any STD or HIV.
It is a response to friction and irritation.
You need to apply Hydrozole cream once daily at night time.
Hydrozole is a mixture of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole(mild steroid and antifungal combination).It will help you a lot.It is available as over the counter medication.
Application for a week or two will clear the condition.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.
Regards.
DrSudarshan

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thank you. I have cleaned it this morning and it appears to have gone down a lot already.

What is your advice to stop it from reoccurring? Could it be similar to what I experience in my groin? Also the skin in my anus also gets irritated and harsh toilet paper seems to aggreviate it. Is that also the same thing?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi again,
The perianal and groin problem can be the same as penis problem. It is aggravated by friction,trauma,irritation.Keeping proper hygiene.Periodic washing with mild soap.Application of mild steroid +antifungal oint will help.
Regards.