Red painful lump appeared in front of ear. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had an echo in my ear on and off for the last month. Three days ago I got a lump infront of my ear that is very painful it is round and red and looks somewhat like a pimple or cyst. Should I be concerned and what should i do
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

According to the brief history given by you, the echo in the ear could be due to block in the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) and it is not related to the swelling in front of the ear.

After examining the images, the lesion in front of the ear seems to be either an inflamed sub-epithelial lymph node or abscess secondary to blockage of the sebaceous glands. In either of the cases the treatment remains the same.

1.     You will require an antibiotic such as Azithromycin or Cefuroxime or a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid to take care of the infection.
2.     An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for pain relief.
3.     Do not meddle with the lesion; it can spread into the sub-epithelial plain.
4.     If the lesion increases in size, consult your doctor for incision and drainage of the same.
Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon