Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Red itchy spots or bruise like areas inside the mouth. What could be this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
My son has a Tiny red spots or bruise-like areas inside the mouth but no other symptom of mono. Not only that but he is 8...and just told us about it tonight and says it itches.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Those red spots could be petechiae. They occur because of minor bleed beneath the mucous membrane. They occur in a number of conditions including viral infections etc.

A physical examination by your doctor is necessary to rule out any other red spots on the body and associated signs. Investigations like platelet counts are required to rule out thrombocytopenia (low platelet count which may some times cause such red spots).

So a consultation of pediatrician is required and if necessary he may carry out certain investigations to arrive at a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red itchy spots or bruise like areas inside the mouth. What could be this? 2 minutes later
But no need to freak out as the panicky mom?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

No donot panic.

But a consultation with your doctor will help you in arriving at a diagnosis. A great majority of such petechiae are caused by viral infections and they are not harmful. But we will have to rule out certain conditions. So a consultation is mandatory.

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor