Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Red flaky spot on penis shaft. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I have two circular red spots on the top of my shaft. both are slightly red, sometimes flaky. Neither are painful or crust over or seep puss. After a shower they both get slight more red but the redness subsides. About 1-2cm in diameter.
They have been there about 2 weeks now. Don't really increase or decrease in size. Sometimes, the redness subsides to a point where it's different to see. Never any pain or itchiness or crust or discharge.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us. I have seen the attached image.

The lesion looks like it could most probably be a fungal infection or psoriasis of the penis. Although an elaborate history and physical examination by a doctor, followed up by a laboratory confirmation will greatly help. From the image, it doesn't seem to present like the common sexually transmitted diseases, although I cannot be sure without more information from you.

It would help to know a few more details like: Did this appear immediately after a particular event (a meal, sexual contact, act of masturbation, etc.)? History of similar presentation? Last sexual contact? If yes, same partner or a new one? Do you have more than one sexual partner? Similar lesions on other parts of the body? Does this look irritated after an act of friction (rubbing during shower, masturbation, sexual intercourse)? History of fever or pain?

I am sure we can find a solution soon. Please feel free to answer my questions, this will all help me in narrowing down a diagnosis. Do not worry, we will surely find a solution. Okay :)

In the meantime, take care of yourself, practice good hygiene, wear comfortable clothes to avoid friction, and avoid sexual contact. I will be waiting to hear from you.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red flaky spot on penis shaft. How to get rid of this? 8 minutes later
It does not change after a meal, although I stopped eating onions and garlic which caused the allergy on my lips.
There is no similar lesions on my body.
My last sexual contact was in November, 2012. It was protected with a former girlfriend. She actually had a checkup with STD test, blood test, and PAP smear last week which was normal. She and I talked about the lesions and she said her doctor said she was ok.

After shower and/or masturbation, it certainly becomes more red. However, I've refrained from maturation since the lesion appeared.

I take my temperature every morning (by habit). I have not had an elevated fever since 2010. I have no other symptoms. I had an HIV/AIDS test 2 weeks ago which was negative.

I actually visited a dermatologist last week and he just said I should get another blood test and urinalysis, but it doesn't look like herpes 2, syphilis chancre, or any other sex disease. But he wanted to rule it all out.

I told him there is no itching, no pain, no discharge, and that I'd not have many sex partners and that my recent HIV test was negative. He suggested jock itch, a fungal infection, or focilitus.

Thank you, Doctor. Your followup comments would be appreciated and expected.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Hi. Thank you for your response.

Your information has surely helped. I completely understand that your history and presentation has almost entirely ruled out a sexually transmitted disease. This is good news, but we have to be sure, so please get all the other blood tests suggested by your doctor to completely rule out all sexually transmitted diseases.

As of now I am close to believing the following three possibilities, do consult your doctor for the same and discuss them. They are:
-Psoriasis (irritated by friction like a shower, masturbation, sexual contact, etc. Can be treated by a steroid cream)
-Fungal infection (responds well to anti-fungal therapy)
-Lichen planus (skin disease; treated by steroids)

All of the above conditions respond very well to treatment. Do not worry. I am sure once we rule out other conditions, we can easily and very quickly treat your condition. I wish you a speedy recovery. Write back to me any time for more information. Till then take care.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red flaky spot on penis shaft. How to get rid of this? 8 minutes later
Are Psoriasis, Fungal infection, or lichen planus contagious or harmful to a woman's vagaina if we have intercourse? Should I be worried about any of these being passed to a woman during sexual contact?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later

Sexual intercourse will surely irritate your penis if you have psoriasis or lichen planus, and you will thus not enjoy intercourse as much. This can also lead to worsening of the condition. Yes, a fungal infection can spread to the woman through sexual intercourse.

It is best to avoid sexual intercourse till you completely recover. Which will hardly take 2 weeks once the diagnosis is made. Do not worry, these are not permanent conditions, and you can return to having a normal sexual life soon.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Red flaky spot on penis shaft. How to get rid of this? 6 minutes later
Your expertise helped, Doctor. I appreciate your time and advice.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 minutes later
I am here to help. Any time. Feel free to write back to me in the future as well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life thereafter.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor