Red, blurry, itchy, watery eye and ear pain. Yellowish green ear discharge, smelling. What is going on?

Dr. Aparna Kohli

Posted on Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I had what the doctor said was bacterial conjuctivitis in my right eye in May. Was given ammoxicilian and eye drops. It took 5 wks to get better but was not 100%. I got it again (right eye) in the beginning of August along with an ear (right ear) infection. I went to the doctor and was told bacterial conjuctivitis and had an ear infection. Was given antibiotic and eye drops. I then went to see an optamologist a week after that and he told me it was viral conjuctivitis. He told me I would just have to ride it out, there was nothing that he could give me. So it is now 5 wks later and there is no improvement what so ever. My right eye is red, blurry, ichy, watery, and my right ear is hurting, ichy and feels like its full of water. I am at my wits end. Could there be something else going on? The ear discharge is yellowish-green and has a smell to it.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
As far as the problem in the eyes is concerned, it most probably is an allergy. Try and identify what you are allergic to ( keep a symptom diary for the same) and avoid it totally. Also, you can take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg one tablet once daily for a week. If this does not help, ask your ophthalmologist for steroid eye drops.
The ear problem is suggestive of a middle ear infection for which you would need to receive a course of oral antibiotics. The drug would need to be changed to something stronger ( depending on the results of the culture sensitivity of the ear discharge). This is a serious concern and the infection can progress rapidly if not treated properly.
Please see your physician and appropriate treatment can be started
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more concerns