Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Red blisters on scrotum, swollen. Used fungicide, selsun blue. Diagnosed as jock itch. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 41 Questions
Tiny red blisters, not much bigger than a pin head, appear on my scrotum and at the same time the veins in the affected area appear raised and swollen. Left untreated they can cause blood spots on my underwear. The problem is worse in the warmer months and i have used a fungicide topicall after having the problem diagnosed as jock itch. My physician didn't look carefully at all and i assumed he knew what he was talking about.
In the cooler weather the problem is less pronounced, and the little blisters are sometimes not present. I wash the area with selsun blue (selenium sulfide?) shampoo each time i take my daily bath or shower. There is an odor that builds over a 24 hour period. If i delay bathing even by a few hours, the odor can become quite overwhelming and detectable by persons near by.
There is a burning / pinprick like sensation felt from time to time. I also sometimes have the urge to itch. The affected area is mainly the right underside of the scrotal sac. I have seen blood vessel swelling / darkening in other area but mostly it is concentrated in the area described.
I first noticed this problem about a year ago and hav
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 8 hours later
Thanks for your query

Your condition appears to be fungal infection affecting the scrotum and is usually worse in moist and warm conditions.
If the area is itchy you may develop red spots due to constant scratching.
I advise you to keep the area clean and dry, use cotton underclothing and wear loose trousers instead of jeans.
You will benefit with local application of a anti-fungal/steroid cream and can consult your local urologist for the same.
If the dermatitis becomes severe, you may need a dermatology consultation.

I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries that you may have.

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor