Recurring pain in shoulder blade with breathing difficulty. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: For the last week or so, I have had recurring XXXXXXX aching in the area near the lats on the left side of my body with the persisting aching and pain intermittently impacting my breathing. The pain is lower on my left side than the shoulder blade and wraps around to the midline on my left side. I have used flector pads with some relief but the aching returns. It awakens me in the night and at night seems associated time wise with right shoulder aching (previous surgery there); however in the day it is in the left upper quarter on the area above my waist and just below my shoulder blade. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem.

I have gone through your query. The pattern of pain that you described appears to arising from spine or the rib cage. X-rays of the chest and spine with or without MRI thoracic spine are needed to rule out chest and spine pathologies.

Other possibilities are muscular aches and neuralgic pain.

I would suggest you to consult a nearby orthopedic who can tailor the aforementioned investigations. A proper treatment can be planned accordingly.

In the interim take over the counter analgesics like motrin twice a day for pain relief. Hot compression will also help.

Hope this answers your query. Revert to me if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad