Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Recurrent wax secretion from ear with pain since childhood. Any permanent solution for this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
There is excess wax secretion in my ear. After every 1-2 yrs my ear starts paining. then i go to doctor for cleaning my ear. I have been facing this problem from 4th standand.
Previously it had to go cleaning wax from my ear every 4 yrs but over a period of time i have to go more frequently. Is there any permanent solution for this?
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 9 hours later

Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided I would like tell you that your problem could be because of
1. Dry wax. The wax can be moist or dry. Moist wax usually poses no problem and extrudes out of the ear canal easily. The movement of jaw wjile chewing actually facilitates removal of wax by itself. Dry wax gets deposited and is difficult to remove
2. Narrow external auditory canal - If the ear canal is narrow, the removal of wax becomes a problem as the wax collects in the deeper part of ear canal and due to narrow canal it do not extrudes out by itself. These cases require a surgery to widen the ear canal -- meatoplasty. This is a minor surgery and can be done under local anaesthesia . It is done by post aural approach(incision behind the ear) and the narrow part of canal (bony part) is drilled to make more space in the ear canal
3. Oily skin - People with oily skin are more prone to have problem of wax in ear as there is excessive production of wax.

I feel that examination in your case by a competent ENT surgeon can resolve the issue. One of the above could be a reason and it would be appropriate to consult and Otolaryngologist(ENT surgeon).

This will help us in reaching to the cause of your problem. Once we get a cause it can be treated.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if you need any more help.

With warm regards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Recurrent wax secretion from ear with pain since childhood. Any permanent solution for this? 10 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for information.
Yes the wax that gets collected is dry wax.
Then i usually use some drops to somethen that wax.

But i was wondering that it only happens to me.
is there any way to avoid collection of dry wax in my ear?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The possible cause of collection in ear canal can be determined after clinical examination by an ENT surgeon.
If the canal is narrow, you will need a surgery to widen the ear canal
To avoid accumulation of wax, I would suggest the following:
a. Repeated gentle cleaning with ear buds in outer part of ear canal -- once to twice a week
b. If the wax is deposited and blocking the ear canal -- you will need wax softeners for 2 to 3 days and cleaning of ear canal under direct vision with a fibreoptic light source, microscope or suctioning of ear canal or syringing.

As the wax characteristics and the anatomy of the ear canal is different in different individuals, it is common in cases with a narrow canal or excessive wax secretion or if the wax deposits are dry.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if anything else is required from my side

With regards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor