Recurrent testicular pain and feeling tightness in chest. Took antibiotic. Any effective cure?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Testicle Problems
Question: hi, i had an infection that didnt come up in the urine sample. my testicles were tender and painful, ears burnt and had sort of it. dr gave me antibiotics for 5 days. felt better. than a day later my left testicle inflammed and was so painful. went to hostpial. they gave me Co-amoxiclav antibiotic for 7 days, 3 times a day. inflammation went down and they are not as tender or painful but my stomach has been awful ever since. i get pain every coulple of days in my testicles, my liver alt enzymes have gone up and now my chest has been so tight and painful, especially in the centre. my stool has not been normal. what can i do?
a dr that is advising in the tohoma clinic says that antibiotic could cause yeast infections.
Sorry, I meant a fit when my testicles and ears were hurting the first few nights. Before both antibiotics.
And my chest has been very tight. But not always painful. Not much mucus and doesnt feel like a cold or chest infection in that way
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Recurrent testicular pain in view of previous torsion needs thorough evaluation again. Though response to antibiotic treatment favours the diagnosis of infection, it would be better to rule out intermittent vascular compromise to testis and post torsional changes causing infection. Repeat ultrasonography of scrotum might help in sorting it. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Stomach complaints and chest tightness may be secondary to the medicines. Hyperacidity induced by medicine, increase intestinal motility and opportunistic gut infections are reported commonly with the co-amoxiclav. Most often these symptoms resolve in a few days. Pre and probiotics can be taken to aid the recovery process.

Though the symptoms do not concern me, I do suggest you to plan a review back to your treating doctor if symptoms do not resolve in a week's time.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, i went back to my gp and he didnt really say anything, he said give it time.
Ive been finished with the antibiotics for over 3 weeks now. the chest pain only started this week.

Thanks for the info on checking the testicles scrotum and ultrasonography.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 23 minutes later
Hi, welcome back,
If your treating physician thinks it is not a major issue then it will be better to wait for 2 to 3 days. If still pain persist then consult again with same doctor . Otherwise you may need to consult another physician in future.

Thanking you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan