Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Recurrent or persistent NGU. How common is NGU cause by mycoplasms and ureaplasms? Curable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 756 Questions
Recurrent or persistent NGU it curable or will it clear itself in time? How common is NGU cause by mycoplasms and ureaplasms? NGU caused by these organisms also curable?

Thanks for taking this question
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 days later
Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic!

Non Gonococcal Urethritis is more common the Gonococcal. Epidimiology there are approximately 62 million new cases of gonococcal urethritis and 89 million new cases of NGU are reported each year. Of course these are under reported diseases due to not all will seek consult for their condition.

Urethritis is characterized by presence of discharge in the tip of the penis, and usually accompanied by pain during urination (which is worse in the first voided urine).

Urethritis are treated empirically using one antibiotics for gonorrhea and another for the non-gonococcal organisms (e.g. chlamydia, trichomonas, mycoplasma and ureaplasma). Empiric Treatment usually consists of Ceftriaxone or Cefixime and Azithromycin or Doxycycline. If there is no resolution with the above mentioned medications above you need to go back to your physician and a 2nd line therapy may be administered.

ANother thing, Partner referral is also an important aspect of management in these diseases. All sexual partners within 60 days should be examined and treated for urethritis also even if without symptoms. Females are usually asymptomatic if infected with NGUs.

I Hope i have answered your question and Best of luck and good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor