Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Recurrent itchy rash with raised lumps under breast. Using cortizone cream. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Allergist and Immunologist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 584 Questions
I have symptoms very similar to scapes. low red itchy bumps in clusters mostly under my breasts, around my belly button, in armpits, and at the back of my knees, and down my spine. Now, I was once diagnosed with scabies 10 years ago and the put on the ointment and the rash became inflamed and i ended up with an infection and never really knew if it was scabies initially or not. ever since then i continued to have a bump or two around my ankles, but not flair ups. two months ago I started to get increasing amounts of red bumps between my breasts near where one doctor said I have patches of tinea vesicular. These few bumps over the last two months have gotten progressively worse and now im VERY uncomfortable. cortizone cream helps with the itch, but hasn't kept it from growing and spreading. My husband has something similar that is reaccuring on his stomach and inner forearms, but only comes at winter time. Our 4 year old sleeps in our bed with us most nights and doesn't have any marks at all, which makes me think its not scabies. I am under a lot of stress, it is the dead of winter., please give me some feed back or steps to try. Ive shone two general practitioners and neither could give me any advice. I don't have health care, so seeing a dermatologist seems impossible. Help?
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 3 hours later

Your symptoms of recurrent itchy skin rash, with raised areas (lumps) under the skin that stays for a few hours (and sometimes longer) is consistent with urticaria.
This is NOT an allergy and although concomitant fungal infections in areas where you sweat more are possible, the rest of the areas would be urticaria.

Underlying diabetes, thyroid problems, altered liver function tests can be causes of urticaria but in most patients the cause remains unidentified. Infections, such as urinary tract and chest, trigger urticaria in adults ad children, so this might be the case with you.

Long acting antihistamines 180mg allegra for 3 months is recommended.

Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Recurrent itchy rash with raised lumps under breast. Using cortizone cream. How to get rid of this? 8 hours later
I am prone to hives, but this rash seems very different. The bumps are more on the surface and are slightly scaley. And they are more like bug bites, but in places that Ive had them longer they start to cluster together.
I suppose it could be hives, but is there something else it could be? And Ive showed it to two doctors last month when it was smaller, one dismissed it, and the other thought scabies. Is there a test that can be done, or can I use the scabies ointment to see if thats what it is? but if it was scabies, wouldn't my daughter have it?
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Yes scabies is highly infective, so by this time all of you would have had it.

If you itch and scratch on the hives, they tend to scale after a time due to the physical pressure (physical urticaria). Clustering of the hives is a feature of urticaria, and not of fungal infections.

You can try applying some calamine lotion on the rash to see the effect. If the redness and itch disappears, it is a feature of urticaria. Unfortunately there is no single test that defines the condition.
There are several antihistamines, but allegra is the long-acting one at 180mg. There is also cetirizine 10mg but twice daily is recommended at the start.

Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor