Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Recurrence of Spinal Stenosis. Suggested to have interferential therapy. Medical cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hi, I wrote in about my back problems on 10/3 and received an answer I didn't have a chance to get back to the doctor about as my "mouse" stopped working! I got a suggestion from Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (orthopaedic surgeon,) regarding my probable recurrance of Spinal Stenosis and the fact that after I had surgery for it in 2007 and sa no improvement, the neurosurgeon found through a second MRI using the XXXXXXX that in his words "There is nothing more I can do for you, your entire spine is "Riddled" with arthritis." Spinal decompression and mutilevel laminectomy is a good option. I read about that, and it appears that it is to give relief for those who have nerve problems and it doesn't usually address the actual "bone" pain. He also said I could visit a tertiary spine centre, I checked with "The Laser Spine Institute" as it sounded very promising, but I am on Social Security Disability, only have Medicare QMB, (I am 62 and was (laughably, now!) put on Total Federal Social Security Disability for Severe Depression, recurrent years ago.) He also mentioned neorotropic medication, and I'm not XXXXXXX what that is. I take Tylenol as I am allergic to NSAIDS. I live alone, am very small, and can not afford help with housework. I try not to hurt myself, but this seems like a downward spiral where I just can't win. Also, the Physical Therapy I went to for a time in 2008 was useless, they didn't seem to now what to do with me. I am wondering about the physio Therapy he suggested like Ultrasound, and how that works, and also "interferential therapy." I want to go to my PCP with things in hand to give her so she can refer me to the correct medical proffessionals. Thanks very much!
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neurotropic include gabapentin,methylcobalamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I have studied your case.

Neurotropic medication includes those help in reducing nerve edema and increase neurotransmission.
They include gabapentin,methylcobalamine.

Physiotherapist can help you to reduce pain by using various machines like, ultrasound [it emits ultrasonic waves and gives tissue relaxation], interferential therapy [low voltage electrical current cross each other to produce pain free state]

Continue your medications for depression.
You can consult psychiatrist also.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor