Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Rectal bleeding after a bowel movement in rectom and tail bone, painful. Colonoscopy done. Bone scan needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
About a week ago I had a small amount of rectal bleeding and pain after bowel movements in my rectom and tailbone. I had a colonoscopy today and it was normal. I woke last night after having a bowel movement and had pain in my rectum and tailbone area. The doctor said I have XXXXXXX and external hemorrhoids but doesn't think this would cause pain in my tailbone area. My lower back near my tailbone has been hurting today after my colonoscopy. I called my doctor back and she said if I was really worried she would order a bone scan. This will cost me $300.00 so I don't know if I should wait a week or so and see if the pain will go away since I have only had it a week. What do you think.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the tail bone might happen due to its inflammation or mild dislocation of coccyx. This is not a medical emergency.
You can wait for a week to get it investigated. Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, you can follow these measures-
1. Do not sit on any hard surface like a bench.
2. Warm sitz bath will relieve your pain and inflammation.
3. Take mild pain killer like motrin ( ibuprofen) thrice daily after meals.
4. You can also apply local analgesic gel to the area.
If the above said measures do not provide relief then you must proceed with the bone scan to find out the reason of this pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor