Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Recovering from total abdominal hysterectomy. Am I able to have intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
I am 68 years old, recovering from a total abdominal hysterectomy and virginal cuff removal. Am i able to have intercourse?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 34 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

It takes 6 weeks for the surgical wound to heal.
Pain can also cause intercourse to be uncomfortable, so it is important that you be fully healed.
Therefore, I recommend you to wait for 6 weeks before you have intercourse.

Take following precautions:
Rest for 4 weeks,
Healthy nutritious diet,
Avoid lifting heavy objects,
Report immediately if fever, pain and vaginal discharge.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more queries.

Have a good recovery.
Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Recovering from total abdominal hysterectomy. Am I able to have intercourse? 18 hours later
Thank you.

The op was several months ago and although I get tired I have made a good recovery. However, I am concerned that I have no physical desire and no wetness.

Also would the removal of the virginal cuff allow penetration
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 28 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Good that you are making good recovery.

You can discuss with your gynecologist and start HRT(hormonal replacement therapy). It contains estrogen which will solve both your problems.

Only 1-2cm of vaginal cuff is removed in hysterectomy. So, definitely there will not be any problem in penetration.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know anytime for further clarifications.
My good wishes and stay healthy.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor