Recovering from flu. Getting tingly numb feeling in head while urinating with fluctuating BP. Concerned

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: 59;year old woman. Just recovering from the flu but still mildly congested. When I urinate I get a tingly numb feeling in the left side of my head. Feel achy and out of it. Blood pressure going up and down and somewhat anxious. Under a lot of stress at work. Worried about the strange tingly feeling in the head, no pain.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 48 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your specific symptoms do not seem to correlate with any particular medical condition. It is possible that persons recovering from the flu can have residual symptoms, manifesting as achiness or tingling sensations over the head. Another possibility to be considered is that these symptoms could be anxiety-related.

It is important to understand that anxiety can present with not only psychological symptoms but also with physical or somatic symptoms. Tingling, numbness and other strange sensations are commonly associated with anxiety. Now, this does NOT mean that 'everything is in your head' and that you are simply imagining the symptoms. Not at all. It has been found that anxiety disorders are associated with certain neuro-chemical imbalance in the brain and this can cause the person's pain and sensory threshold to get lowered and he / she can become 'hypersensitive' to sensory stimuli, and therefore have tingling, burning, etc.

You have mentioned that you are under a lot of stress and are feeling anxious too. So, I think your anxiety / stress is the most likely cause of your symptoms. Since they don't seem to be indicative of any significant medical or neurological problem, I would advise you not to worry too much about this. Take adequate rest and avoid stress as much as possible. You can also try relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, etc. Eating a healthy and balanced diet and drinking adequate amounts of water is also important.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist