Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Recovering from Hepatitis E. Diet advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hi one month back i have Hebatitis E the Bilirubin count 7.8 mg/dl

after taking treatment two weeks back again we checked the bilirubin count 1.o mg/dl

what kind of food i should eat and how may moths i have to continue the diet

and can i have sex with my wife
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

You have provided me with good information.

You have been suffering from Hepatitis E and have taken treatment for this. The bilirubin levels have also improved since then. I presume all other parameters have also improved. It is a good sign of recovery.

Hepatitis E(HEV) is transmitted by eating or drinking contaminated food or water. It is not sexually transmittable disease, so do not worry about passing on to your wife.

Diet for hepatitis E patients such as high carbohydrate food (Bread, potato, grains), moderate to high fat and protein and salt restriction are usually recommended in during acute infection.
However hepatitis E is a self limiting condition where they body heals infection spontaneously. Your reports too suggest that infection has improved. In this circumstance, I do not feel you require a special diet / dietary restriction.

In addition the following measures might be useful:
1. Plenty of fruits and vegetables and vitamin B supplements might help in getting your body to normality post infection.
2. Avoid drinking water and/or ice of unknown purity and eating uncooked shellfish, uncooked fruits or vegetables that are not peeled or prepared outside.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor