Recommended amino acids and proteins after workout. How much protein should I take?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: Hello Doctor,

I started to go to gym 5 times a week for 2 hours each session and trying to be on good shape but my personal trainer recommended me to take amino acids and proteins after workout but many doctors and also people around me are agains proteins and what you recommend? Could you tell me also at my age 26 y.o. what is the maximum grams of protein I can take or what is recommended not to have any problems in the future.

Thanks a lot for your response.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 days later

All nutrients including proteins and amino acids are metabolized based on the body needs and the rest are excreted into the kidneys. Therefore in the absence of conditions such as renal disease and gout, any amount of protein you consume is excreted and metabolized harmlessly.

Hence there is no restriction to use high protein / amino acid diet; however it may be a good option to screen your kidney and uric acid levels regularly say once every 6-9 months to be in optimal health.

In simple terms, in the presence of normal renal functions and uric acid, there are no current standard recommendations for maximum protein intake. You may take them provided you keep your renal function and uric acid screened regularly.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.