Recently underwent root canal treatment on canine teeth. Need a second opinion

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: i recently underwent root canal treatment on my canine teeth. both i & doctor tried hard to identify the colour of cap which would match my natural tooth colour. however after fitting it, i find the colour varies from the other tooth. though the doctor replaced it once, am still not happy. its way different.
Is'nt there scientific way of finding the right shade instead of depending on human judgement?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us,
I would like you to know that when selecting appropriate color for the crown, a dentist follows a few steps;
First of all, color selection is done under natural light,
A color guide or a template is used to do the shade matching,
In laymen's term as we move from incisors to molars the tooth color changes from white to yellow.
Incisors are whiter than canines and molars are yellower than canines.
Also, the tooth color is darker than your normal skin tone.

I hope this answer was useful.
If you have any further question kindly write back to us.
I wish you good health.