Recently had an abscess (located near my rectum ) lanced

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2019 in Lump
Question: Recently had an abscess (located near my rectum) lanced by a surgeon about three weeks ago. The surgical wound drainage has stopped and the wound is newly closed. However, now there is a very small amount of puss that drains from near the wound area located very close to my rectum. I can't tell if the puss is coming from skin near the wound closure or on the edge of my rectum. There is no pain associated with this condition. I have just tried applying Hydrocortisone Cream USP 2.5% to the entire area. Not sure if this is a good thing to do.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wound should not be closed.

Detailed Answer:
As per your description, it looks like a Perianal Abscess or Ischiorectal abscess. It was incised and drained. The wound will be cleaned with Povidone-iodine solution and is kept open.
We do not close the wound as the pus should come out.

In your case, pus will be coming from the incision site. Please Consult your doctor and ask to make the wound big so that pus comes out easily.

In a few cases, a small opening will be formed in the skin discharging some material with communication to inside and that is called Anal fistula. If it is formed, the whole fistulous tract has to be removed.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj