Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Recent x-ray showed slight build up of placque in aorta. CHOL 6.04 mmol/L. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
Should I be concerned by the good cholesterol vs bad/ or cholesterol levels in general from below results. I am 58 years old, very active(exercise 6 times per week, and better than average diet(at least 5 colors of fruits and veggies daily). Have been a heavy drinker but do not smoke. Recent back exray showed slight build up of placque in aorta.
CHOL 6.04 mmol/L
HDLC 1.93 mmol/L
LDLC 4.08 mmol/L

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 36 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are subdivisions of cholesterol – HDL, LDL and so on.
LDL (& non-HDL) is bad cholesterol – lower, the better.
HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better.

The aim is to keep Total Cholesterol below 5.2 / LDL below 2.6 (below 1.8 with risk for heart disease) / HDL above 1 (1.5 is ideal).

     Keep your weight to normal / even a little less
     Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
     Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week.      Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil. / Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.
Repeat the test in 6 weeks.

     Cholesterol can still be high, in spite of diet and exercise – you need drugs; Because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity. Statin is the first choice. Some start it straight away – even with normal levels, even without problems (Primary Prophylaxis)

Take care     
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor