Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Received anal sex with condom, it broke. Showered with anti-bacterial soap. Should I consider PEP?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 180 Questions
Yes, thanks, I just posted one in the forum. I am a 49 year old man who attempted receiving anal sex for the first time last night, but the condom broke as he tried to enter. We immediately stopped and I showered with anti-bacterial soap, including in my anus -- probably only to make me feel better. Should I consider PEP, or is the risk greater than I think?j
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 31 minutes later

As I always ask, what is the HIV status of your partner? Assuming he is seropositive, in unprotected anal receptive intercourse, there is a high chance of acquiring HIV.
But, before even starting you have stopped, so hardly any infected fluid would have come from tip of his penis. Even if any oozing would have been there, it would not have entered inside the anal canal. Considering all these I think you may not have acquired HIV. However, do visit your nearest testing and counselling center so as to discuss in one to one basis in a more detailed way.
Hope I could provide some insight into your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Received anal sex with condom, it broke. Showered with anti-bacterial soap. Should I consider PEP? 2 hours later
I have no idea of his status. I only met him yesterday. That is the issue.
It sounds like the risk is extremely low, I do not think he entered, but i guess starting to enter is possible. Would I be considered for PEP, or do you think that is not needed?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

No, you may not need PEP, that is what I understood from your questions.

But I will again advise you to visit your nearby testing and counselling center, so that you can discuss with them on one to one basis about what all happened between you two during that event. It will guide them to decide whether testing &/or PEP is necessary.

Remember: you should visit them as soon as possible.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor