Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Received a plate for a fractured jaw, wisdom teeth removed. Can I take marijuana as pain killer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
Exactly 1 week ago I received a plate for a fractured jaw and had 3 wisdom teeth removed. I posess a medicinal marijuana card and wondered since I am against pain medications can I use Marijuana as a substitute
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

If the pain is moderate in intensity, it is always advisable to use anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac twice or thrice a day.

Narcotic medicines are usually advocated when the pain is unbearable; conditions such as cancer related pain, polytrauma and those patients who are not benefited with or allergic to anti-inflammatory medicines.

If you have already tried or allergic to anti-inflammatory medicines, you can use medicinal marijuana, but it has to be used for a shorter duration (1-2 days) and only under the guidance of a medical practitioner.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor