Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Reason for swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12673 Questions
I have swollen and very itchy labia. Also, swollen and peeling vaginal lips.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The cause for your swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips could be one of the following.

1. Allergic reaction to some kind of substance, fabric, scented or colored toilet paper, local cleanser, lotion, gel, soap or bathing product.

2. An infection, due to the nails or a bacterial or fungal vaginal infection. If you have accompanying urinary symptoms, it could be UTI (genital infection in the area, such as fungal infection or bacterial infection, could have been worsened by abrasion during masturbation.

3. It is common for the labial area to be sore and swollen for a day after vigorous intercourse/ rubbing during masturbation- called as vulvovaginitis.

You need to consult a gynecologist for exact diagnosis and treatment.

For the time being, please use ice packs, soothing gels like aloe vera and if itching is a problem, you can use Vagisil anti itch cream.

Also avoid abrasion and friction, excessive washing or rubbing of the affected area.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reason for swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips? 12 hours later
My vaginal ips and labia have swollen really bad. Then I used monostat 7 and the swelling goes down for a bit. Also, tiny little cuts everywhere that itch. So, I have swollen labia and lips, tiny cuts, itchiness, and peeling. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to vulvovaginitis, which is more commonly encountered due to a mixed- bacterial and fungal infection. Oral antibiotics and painkillers are needed for proper relief. You need to consult your gynecologist who can prescribe you the most appropriate antibiotics after a detailed examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor