question-icon

Reason for reddish bumps on upper lip and coughing mucus with blood?

Posted on Sun, 9 Mar 2014
Question: I have like a reddish as for a small bump inside my mouth on the upper lip and have a lot on the outer top lip and I cough up mucus with a little bit of blood what could it be
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer: please meet your doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello! The bump on the upper lip can just be a mucus retention cyst, which is a very common swelling on the lips and is easily treatable with antibiotics and hexidine mouth wash! However i am worried about your other complaint, that is coughing up mucus stained with blood, this is a cause of concern and can be due to a host of causes including lower respiratory tract infection to an auto immune disorder You have to be examined and undergo a few tests before a definitive conclusion can be made and i would like you to meet your doctor as soon as possible! Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (17 minutes later)
I've been treated like this year strep throat penicillin
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer: I wouls still like you to meet your doctor! Detailed Answer: Hello Strep infection is unlikely to be the cause for your complaints now and i would like you to meet your doctor for sure!! Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist