Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Reason for high SGPT and SGOT levels despite recovering from jaundice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
Hi, I suffered from hepatatis A druing (Dec-01-2013 to Jan-16-2014). My LFT test results on 1st Feb and 15th feb are given below. I found that my SGOT and SGPT levels are increased in 2 weeks , but my bilrubin level is decreased. I attended a cocktail party yesterday and I consumed 90 ml of alcohol and bit chicken. Is this the reason for increase OF SGOT AND SGPT? I thought I am completely recovered from jaundice, but when my sgot and sgpt levels are increased I am much worried. Is there any problem with my lever? Let me know what are the precautions I need to take. 1-feb-2013 Total Bilrubin : 1,0 mg/dl Direct bilrubin : 0.7 mg/dl Indirect bilrubin : 0.3 mg/dl SGPT: 24 U/L SGOT: 37 U/L ALKALINE PHOSPHATE : 101 U/L 15feb2013(next day of consuming alcohol-90ml) Total Bilrubin : 0.8 mg/dl Direct bilrubin : 0.3 mg/dl Indirect bilrubin : 0.5 mg/dl SGPT: 90 U/L SGOT: 98 U/L ALKALINE PHOSPHATE : 97 U/L
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query Hepatitis A is usually a monophasic illness eventhough there is a recurring variant in which itching is very prominent. It is well known that even a single drink of alcohol can induce hepatic inflammation and this is all the more true if the liver is already damaged. Hence quit alcohol and have a balanced diet rich in fruits. Avoid being overweight and do regular exercise. Get yourself vaccinated against hepatitis B virus if not already done Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Reason for high SGPT and SGOT levels despite recovering from jaundice? 53 minutes later
Hi , Thanks for your advice, So, you want me to quit alcohol completely or for a particular period? I am a social drinker and I want to booze atleast in the parties to enjoy the life. Please give your expert advice on this. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Directed Detailed Answer: Hi Alcohol affects every part of the body and even a single dose can cause serious side effects. As far as medicine is concerned total absteinance is what is advocated. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor