Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Rash, red inflamed, not itchy, playing sports

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hi there, So i have this on going rash since i was 14 all ways got while playing sports in the summer.. I am now 32 and have recently started coming back.. inner thighs in the crease of my testicles but not on them about 3"-5" thick 4" long.. each side usually .. right now only on one side .. Red inflamed but not ichy
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 38 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. One thing that is important from the description of your rash is that the rash is not itchy and is swollen and red. Secondly you got it when you played sports. From these symptoms two possibilities are important.

1)     This rash can be due to chafing or friction rub between the thighs with the genitalia or with the skin and the clothes. Chafing is basically skin irritation and redness which occurs when skin rubs against skin or clothing.

2)     Second possibility is of intertrigo skin. It is a skin condition caused by inflammation of the skinfolds aggravated by heat, moisture, maceration, friction, and lack of air circulation and is caused by two skin surfaces rubbing or pressing against each other.

I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings to rule out any fungal infection and a Wood’s lamp examination to rule out any erythrasma skin which may resemble both the above mentioned possibilities.

Follow these methods for a quick relief from your symptoms:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. When doing exercise wear athletic tights or cycling shorts.
2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.
3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.
4)     Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor