Rash over entire stomach area after umbilical hernia operation. What could be the reason?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Just had a umbilical hernia operation two weeks ago and I have developed a severe rash over my entire stomach area. Is the treatable or does the mesh have to be removed ? If it does have to be removed how long do I have to wait?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rarely requires removal of mesh. Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day Presence of rash itself does not imply infected mesh. It could be just an allergic reaction to the dressing used or it could be Surgical site infection. In most of the times surgical site infection responds to antibiotics. The clinical decision depends on visual inspection of abdomen and surgical site. It rarely requires removal of the meshes. Clinical decision depends on visual inspection. I hope I have cleared your doubts. In case you need further assistance, Kindly get back to me. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad