Rash on the side of face with itching. Suggest treatment

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash/ irritation on the side of my face. I'm not sure if it's dry skin from the weather change or irritation from shaving. It does itch. It has been getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query and photographs. It is appearing like a fungal infection. I would like to know the following things. 1. Since how long you have this lesion? 2. Have you applied any over the counter medication? Kindly answer the above, so I can help you better, Waiting for your response. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 minutes later
I have had it for a week or so. It is getting worse. I have not used any over the counter medication. I have used some lotion though and it doesn't really help. Is this something I should be worried about? What is the cause of this?
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the follow up. Dont worry it is not a severe thing. It is just a fungal infection. Apply a topical anti fungal cream, (Clotrimazole + clobetasol ) twice daily for 15 days. You will get relief with this. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for the response. What is the cause of this fungal infection? Do you think the over the counter anti fungal cream will clear it up? Should I go see a dermatologist? Also, I have to shave everyday for work. Should I try to avoid shaving this area of my face? Also, do you think this could be ringworm?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes it is ring worm ( tinea Facie). Yes over the counter anti fungal cream would be enough. Better use a combination of anti fungal and steroid. This will help in controlling inflammation. It is better to avoid shaving in the patch area for a week, healing will be better. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you