Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Rash in vagina, yellow discharge. Serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I'm 36 wks pregnant, have a rash on my vagina and a blood tinged yellow discharge, I am quite sexually active with my partner. Is there reason to be concerned.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

A rash on the vagina could be indicative of any infection or an allergic rash or due to vulvovaginitis.

At 36 weeks of pregnancy you must avoid indulging in excessive sex, and avoid all infections to prevent preterm labor.

If the rash is sore, itchy, associated with pain, lump like, burning during urination and has discharge then it can be indicative of any infection and requires evaluation.

Some measures for you:

1)Apply icepack on the area and then observe for any changes.

2)Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching.

3)Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder after consulting your gynaecologist.

Please consult your Gynaecologist to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Rash in vagina, yellow discharge. Serious? 49 minutes later
I think I may have an infection because it looks like a a slight pussy yellow bloody discharge, I'm 1cm dilated, is this quite XXXXXXX for the baby?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If your os is 1 cm dilated and the discharge is pus like i suggest you must see your gynaecologist and get a good antibiotic prescribed for yourself to prevent your baby from neonatal infections.

There are also possibility of preterm labor if not treated properly.

Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical and local examinations. your doctor may suggest you to undergo relevant testes like KOH smear. And also getting treated early is safe.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor